I’ve mentioned in a previous post how much I love Asian food so for the first ever recipe on the Only Cookware blog I decided to make Chicken Almond Stir Fry. And when I say ‘I decided to make…’, I don’t actually mean I made it.
I love cooking but I am in the enviable position where I don’t have to cook. Those cooks amongst us might think that is not such a good position to be in but, with the time I have left in the day, it is nice for someone else to do the cooking for me.
So the cook in the house (my brother) is going to be the one making most of the recipes on this blog. He loves to cook and generally makes something different every day. It is like having Jamie Oliver in the house.
I will be the photographer and I love that although I have a lot to learn when taking food shots. I have been chatting to a lovely lady by the name of Christine who owns the Vegalicious.org website. She has given me a few hints. Her husband takes the photos on her site and they are fantastic so take a look.
So back to the recipe at hand. We tried this recipe for the first time tonight but I can see that it will be one that we will have again. It’s a wonderful mix of vegetables and includes one of my favorite herbs – cilantro, or coriander as we call it here in Australia. This was one herb that I initially detested but funnily enough I have grown to like it and now I can’t get enough of it. I was the same with oysters – used to hate them but I kept trying them and now I love them….but I digress.
One of the ingredients in this recipe is a kecap manis which is a sweet soy sauce sweetened with palm sugar. It’s actually an Indonesian soy sauce and has a syrupy texture. I think it is what gives this recipe its wonderful flavor. Enjoy!
Chicken Almond Stir Fry
4 chicken breast fillets or thigh fillets
1 red onion
3cm piece sliced ginger
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
1 tbs peanut oil
100g (3.5oz) slivered blanched almonds
125g (4.5oz) baby corn (tinned)
2 tbs oyster sauce
2 tbs kecap manis
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1. Marinade the chicken with the onion, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and five spice powder for about 20-30 minutes.
2. Heat the peanut oil in a wok. Add the almonds and stir fry for a couple of minutes until toasted and remove from wok.
3. Add the chicken to the wok, cooking in batches until golden and remove from wok.
4. Add more oil to the wok if required and toss in the snow peas and baby corn. Cook for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the chicken, oyster sauce and kecap manis and stir fry for about a minute or until the sauce thickens.
Serve with rice and top with almonds and cilantro.
MOST POPULAR REVIEWS
- Stainless Steel Cookware – Cuisinart Multiclad Pro 12pc Cookware Set Review
- Pressure Canners – All American Pressure Canner Review
- Kitchenaid Artisan Stand Mixer Review – The Best Stand Mixer
- All Clad 9pc Cookware Set Review – The Best All Clad Cookware Set
- Anolon Cookware – The Best Non-Stick Cookware Set
- Rachel Ray Cookware – The Best Value for Money Non-Stick Set
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!