One of the reasons that some people don’t like using a dutch oven, is that the meat looks uncooked and there is nothing more unattractive than a white lump of chicken or meat even if it is cooked. So the best way to overcome this is to always brown the meat before putting it into the Dutch oven – just as you would when cooking meat in a Slow Cooker.
Another reason people tend not to use their Dutch oven is because it may need to be seasoned, especially if it is cast iron. This must be done prior to use. Seasoning provides a non-stick surface and prevents foods from reacting with the cast iron. If you have purchased an enameled cast iron Dutch oven then this will not be necessary.
Season your dutch oven in the same way you season your other cast iron cookware and the more you use it the better the non stick finish and rust preventative properties will be.
A dutch oven is a remarkable piece of kitchen cookware – don’t let yours waste away in the cupboard. There are so many delightful recipes you can cook in it.
MOST POPULAR REVIEWS
- Stainless Steel Cookware – Cuisinart Multiclad Pro 12pc Cookware Set Review
- Pressure Canners – All American Pressure Canner Review
- Kitchenaid Artisan Stand Mixer Review – The Best Stand Mixer
- All Clad 9pc Cookware Set Review – The Best All Clad Cookware Set
- Anolon Cookware – The Best Non-Stick Cookware Set
- Rachel Ray Cookware – The Best Value for Money Non-Stick Set
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!