Tonight was family dinner night at my house. We had beef bourginon with rice for the main course. My daughter, Varinia, brought the appetizers, cheese platter, olives, kabana, tapinade and quince jam to serve with crackers and my grandaughter, Ishta, brought the ingredients to make a dessert that was just amazing and everyone went back for seconds.
She got the recipe from Nigella Lawson on You tube and made a small variation to what is essentially a very easy dessert called Eton Mess.
Because there were 8 of us for dinner, Ishta doubled the recipe.
The ingredients that Ishta used are as follows:
- 2 bottles of cream beaten with 1 tsp of vanilla essence and 1 tsp raw sugar.
- 1 pavlova base
- 3 punnets of strawberries soaked with 6 tsp pomegranate juice, 4 tsps of caster sugar and 4 tsps of balsamic vinegar which just cuts the sweetness.
- Prepare the strawberries ahead of time, a couple of hours is probably enough.
- Slice the strawberries and pour over the pomegranate juice.
- Whip the cream with a tsp of vanilla essence and 1tsp of sugar (optional-this is our family’s preference) until it is light and fluffy
- Crumble in the pavlova and stir through the beaten cream
- Fold the strawberry mix through the cream and meringue mix – add to glasses and serve.
I was talking to friends at work the next day and they have seen the same base recipe using other fruits such as blackberries, blueberries and even nuts.
Over dinner we discussed among other things, Nigella Lawsons recipes and her range of kitchen accessories including the functional and very handy ceramic measuring cups that resemble teacups with their wide mouth, shown at the top of the page.There is a set of four and the measurements ,in both ounce and metric conversions, are written on the inside of the rim.
The set includes the following:
- 1 cup.
The Nigella Lawson 4-pc. Lavender Measuring Cup Set is a limited edition set created as a special offer to raise money to support young women with breast cancer. The royalties from this set are donated to the Lavender Trust at Breast Cancer Care (registered charity no. 1017658) along with an additional royalty from Bliss.