Some interesting facts about Olive oil that you may not be aware of.
- In the United States olive oil is graded differently from the rest of the world as they are not part of the International Olive Oil Council which defines the standards and monitors production of olive oil in most countries around the world.
- Thi means that the IOOC grades do not apply in the US which has four grades of Olive oil – Fancy, Choice, Standard and Substandard. The quality is determined according to acidity, absence of defects, odor and flavor.
- Extra virgin may appear on labels for any grade of oil so it is no guarantee of the quality of oil you are buying in the US.
- Olives need to be ground within a day or two of being picked to avoid oxidation.
So it pays to buy quality olive oil such as the IDYLL – Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Sparta Greece which has been certified Protected Geographical Indication (PGI), a EU label for a product unique to its location.
This olive oil is made from olives that have been hand picked. It has a smooth, fresh and grassy flavour with a peppery finish. It is high in polyphenols and oleic acid.
How Long Does Olive Oil Keep?
- Olive oil can go rancid so keep in a cool place and ensure that it is sealed properly.
- A good olive oil should last between 12-18 months however it is best used within 3 months.
For more information about olive oil why not read our post on: What you need to know about Olive Oil