- In the United States olive oil is graded differently from the rest of the world as they are not part of the International Olive Oil Council which defines the standards and monitors production of olive oil in most countries around the world.
- This means that the IOOC grades do not apply in the US which has four grades of Olive oil – Fancy, Choice, Standard and Substandard. The quality is determined according to acidity, absence of defects, odor and flavor.
- Extra virgin may appear on labels for any grade of oil so it is no guarantee of the quality of oil you are buying in the US.
- Olives need to be ground within a day or two of being picked to avoid oxidation.
So it pays to buy quality olive oil such as the Apollo – Mistral Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Mastri Oleari who has been named as one of the top 10 oil producers in the world, the Apollo range of olive oils are made right here in California.
This olive oil is certified as being extra virgin organic and is made from 100% first crush, cold pressed olives. Apollo olive oil is the only vacuum milled olive oil in the US .
You can make your choice from three different varieties of olive oil – Sierra which is complimentary to meat dishes, medium light Mistral which is perfect for sauteing or grilling and Barouni which ideal for red wine dishes, lamb and couscous.
How Long Does Olive Oil Keep?
- Olive oil can go rancid so keep in a cool place and ensure that it is sealed properly.
- A good olive oil should last between 12-18 months however it is best used within 3 months.
For more information about olive oil why not read our post on: What you need to know about Olive Oil
MOST POPULAR REVIEWS
- Stainless Steel Cookware – Cuisinart Multiclad Pro 12pc Cookware Set Review
- Pressure Canners – All American Pressure Canner Review
- Kitchenaid Artisan Stand Mixer Review – The Best Stand Mixer
- All Clad 9pc Cookware Set Review – The Best All Clad Cookware Set
- Anolon Cookware – The Best Non-Stick Cookware Set
- Rachel Ray Cookware – The Best Value for Money Non-Stick Set
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!