“WAITRESS” PIE (aka I Can’t Have No Affair Because It’s Wrong and I Don’t Want Earl to Kill Me Pie)
2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
2 cups whole milk
2 large eggs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3 large egg whites
pinch of cream of tartar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Prepare crust: Stir together crust ingredients until well blended. Press mixture into 9-inch pie pan. Bake 9 to 11 minutes, or until crust is browned and crisp. Remove from the oven. Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F.
3. Prepare custard: Heat milk in a small saucepan almost to a boil. Remove from heat. Beat eggs slightly in a large bowl. Whisk in sugar and salt. *Add hot milk, 1/4 cup at time, whisking constantly to temper egg mixture (to get warmer gradually). Whisk in vanilla. Pour custard through a fine sieve and into the prepared pie crust. Sprinkle top of custard with cinnamon.
4. Bake on lower shelf of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until custard is set and firm to touch. Remove from oven and set on rack to cool slightly. (Keep oven on)
5. Prepare meringue: In large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over cooked custard, and return to oven until the meringue is slightly browned. Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
*Be sure to add milk gradually. If you add it to the egg mixture all at once, you’ll cook the eggs and end up with scrambled eggs!
**Refrigerate any leftover pie.
MOST POPULAR REVIEWS
- Stainless Steel Cookware – Cuisinart Multiclad Pro 12pc Cookware Set Review
- Pressure Canners – All American Pressure Canner Review
- Kitchenaid Artisan Stand Mixer Review – The Best Stand Mixer
- All Clad 9pc Cookware Set Review – The Best All Clad Cookware Set
- Anolon Cookware – The Best Non-Stick Cookware Set
- Rachel Ray Cookware – The Best Value for Money Non-Stick Set
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!