Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 at
If you are a fan of the Paula Deen cooking shows, her restaurant or even her shop, you now can have a little piece of Paula in your kitchen. The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook by Paula Deen
is 192 pages of not only recipes, but also a taste of Paula.
Throughout the book are a number of the stories behind the recipes you are going to cook and personal commentary from Paula, herself.
This book is a little different than what you may expect from many cookbooks with recipes that are detailed and difficult as well as those fun items that Paula likes that are nothing more than a couple of store-bought, prepared ingredients mixed together in a bowl.
From Appetizers to dessert, there is a little of everything in these pages.
These recipes are not for anyone watching their cholesterol, it’s all good ol’ Southern comfort food.
What We Like:
- It was a fun read as it is more than just a cookbook, but also had stories and insight.
- We liked the stories behind the recipes. It gave that extra personal touch that makes you understand where these things came from.
- The writing was in true Paula Deen style and you could almost hear her speaking from the pages.
- If you want real southern cooking, this is the place to find it, as there are no cut corners on these ingredients.
- If you have ever been to her restaurant, this will let you make many of the same recipes in your home.
What We Don’t Like:
- If you like to have a healthy option in a meal, there are none offered in this book. She’s a fan of cream and butter over everything else.
- Not enough pictures to get an idea of what you’re cooking. So if you are a visual person, this could be an issue. I like pictures in my cookbooks.
- Some of the recipes left a lot to be desired in the area of flavor.
The majority of consumers who purchased The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook by Paula Deen give it two thumbs up.
Where Can I Read the Reviews and Buy The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook by Paula Deen?
Saturday, February 7th, 2009 at
Toaster ovens are handy little kitchen appliances but most people simply use it for warming and toasting food and not much else. If this sounds like you then Lois Dewitt’s book ‘Pop It in the Toaster Oven‘ may be just what you need.
This handy cookbook will have you cooking quick easy and truly delicious meals that you never thought could be possible in your toaster oven.
Some of the recipes include Buttermilk Pancakes, Breakfast Banana Bread, Spicy Oven Baked Chili, Blackberry Pie, Catfish Kebabs, Italian Meatballs, Pesto Pizza, Snapper with Capers and Olives and Tuna Casserole. These are just a few of the more than 250 different recipes you can cook in your toaster oven.
The book is broken up into the following sections:
Want to Read Reviews?
You can read reviews for the Pop It in the Toaster cookbook at Amazon
WHERE CAN I GET THE BEST PRICE?
We found the best price at Amazon
Monday, January 26th, 2009 at
STARTING OFF IN THE WORLD OF CANNING
THEN YOU NEED THIS BOOK
The Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving: 400 Delicious and Creative Recipes for Today starts you at the beginning and walks you step-by-step through the process of making your own preserves. The book covers the mechanics of preserving from safety during canning to all the items you will need to get going.
When you’re ready to get down to canning, you will not want for recipes of what to make. This book has over 400 recipes that run the gamut. If you want something tangy you can choose from various pickles, salsas and dipping sauces. Have a sweet tooth? There are plenty of jelly, jam and pie filling recipes that will make your mouth water.
This book is a must have for anyone new to the world of canning and preserving.
What We Like
- This is a great starter book to help someone new to food preservation through the basics. It also has a lot of recipes to try as you get started.
- Simple, step-by-step instructions are perfect to help a beginner through the process and keep them from being lost.
- The recipes include a nice variety from salsas to pickling, dipping sauces, jams and pie fillers.
Some things to consider:
- If you have the canning basics down and have gone through the process a time or two, you may not get too much new information out of this book. This is definitely a beginning to intermediate canning book.
- For those who are visual learners and doers, it would have been nice to have more pictures in the book to use as a reference.
Do you need to update your pressure cooker/ canner. Read our review on the Best Pressure Cooker/Canner.
Where Can I Buy a Copy of the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving: 400 Delicious and Creative Recipes for Today (Hardcover)?
Thursday, January 22nd, 2009 at
Fresh juice is a perfect way to getting a lot of vitamins and minerals into your body in a super quick way. But the juice you buy at the supermarket really doesn’t cut it. To keep it fresh they need to add preservatives and many are filled with copious amounts of sugar. Juicing your own is really the way to go.
The Juicing Bible is just what it says it is. It provides not only a great array of recipes but goes into detail on specific juices for specific health problems with over 80 different ailments discussed.
What I really like about this book is that it also includes recipes on using the pulp. This is one thing that I always considered to be such a waste with juicing. Even though I could throw the pulp on the compost heap, I still felt that I should be doing something more with it so including recipes for it is a great bonus.
The book goes into detail about the different types of juicing machines and also how to clean your appliance. It also explains what to look for when buying a juice machine.
There is more to just juicing in this book. It discusses the types of foods to avoid, the components of good health and what types of foods you should be eating.
The book includes over 250 recipes for fruit juices, vegetable juices, smoothies, roughies (for recipes using the pulp), frozen treats, aperitifs, bitters, coffee and tea substitutes, teas and tonics.
It also is an excellent reference for fruit, vegetables and herbs documenting the nutritive value of each and their healing properties.
Want to Read More Reviews?
You can read more reviews for The Juicing Bible at Amazon.com
Where Can I Buy The Juicing Bible ?