At the moment it is cherry season in Canberra and the cherries are plump and ever so juicy. So because there is an abundance of cherries I needed to come up with a way of using up some of the excess.
Well I have found one way to use them that is absolutely yummy – cherry ice cream.
Back in August I brought a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and I love it. In fact I look for any opportunity to make ice cream. And over that time we have sorted out some favourites. Up until now my favourites have been chocolate with added bits and pieces such as hazel nuts or crushed up crunchy bars and my other favourite was fresh strawberry, Paula’s favourite is toasted pecan ice cream. So I make each one as the mood takes me.
But now my favourite is definitely fresh cherry.
I use the recipe that came with the Cuisinart for the Fresh Strawberry ice cream and just adapt it with various fruits such as mango, passionfruit, frozen mixed berries, whatever is in season.
- Fresh Cherry Ice Cream
- This ice cream is best made with fresh fruit when its in season. You can use any fruit, I have made it the mango and passionfruit, frozen mixed berries and Strawberries. It makes about 5 1/2 cups
|111/2 cup serves|
- 1 1/2cupsfresh cherries pitted
- 3/4cupwhole milk long life milk works just as well as fresh
- 2/3cupgranulated sugar
- 1pinchkosher or sea salt
- 1 1/2cupsheavy cream
- 1 1/2 tspspure vanilla extract
- Place the cherries in the food processor fitted with the chopping blade. Pulse cherries until roughly or finely chopped depending on your preference. I like a mix. Reserve cherries in bowl till needed.
- In a medium bowl combine the milk, sugar and salt and using a hand mixer on low speed or a whisk, mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.
- Stir in the chopped cherries with all the juices.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours but preferably overnight.
- Fit the ice cream paddle to the machine.
- Remove the ice cream from the fridge and whisk the mixture before pouring into the ice cream maker.
- Follow the instructions for your brand of ice cream maker. I am using a Cuisinart compressor ice cream maker.
- Turn the unit on, set the timer for 40 minutes and press start.