Chip pan fires can and do happen. But if you take sensible precautions, they should be avoidable. Here are some tips to help keep you and your family safe:
- If using a thermostatic Deep Fat Fryer, follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If you’re using a ‘homemade’ chip pan never fill it more than a third full of oil.
- Never leave any kind of fryer unattended. The phone will have to wait!
- Don’t put too much food into the fryer at any one time as the oil could overflow causing a fire.
- If the oil is smoking, don’t put any food in and turn the heat down immediately.
If A Fire Occurs:
– Turn off the heat if possible.
– Never throw water on it – this can make things much worse
– If you have one, put a fire blanket over the pan.
– Don’t try to move the pan or fryer.
– Call emergency services.