Please note – these seasoning
instructions are only for carbon steel woks.
1. Wash the entire wok in hot water
with a tiny amount of detergent and a sponge or pad.
2. Don’t use anything abrasive on the
inside of the wok.
3. Rinse the wok thoroughly and dry it.
4. Put the
wok onto a high heat.
5. Move the wok continually – turning
it and tilting it so that it all gets over the heat. Continue this until the
wok turns a blue/yellow color.
6. Take the wok off the stove and turn
the heat down to medium.
7. Now you need to coat the inside
surface of the wok with oil. You should need about 1 ½ teaspoons. Be careful
as the wok will be extremely hot. A safe way to do it is with kitchen towel
held in tongs – or use a heat-proof basting brush designed for barbecues.
8. Put the wok back onto the medium to
low heat for 10 minutes.
9. Leave to cool slightly and then use
fresh paper in tongs to wipe the oil off. You will see black residue on the
paper – this is what we want!
10. Repeat the process until no black
residue shows on the paper. This may take 3 or 4 seasonings.
You are now ready to use your wok!